One of the most delicious seasonal dishes offered within Italian cuisine is known as a Fresh Cream of Spring Pea Soup Recipe. This dish generally uses fresh seasonal green peas, rather than frozen peas. The fresh variety of peas will lend the soup a far fresher and richer flavor than the frozen variety, so always go out of your way to keep the soup ingredients fresh if you can. Fresh seasonally grown ingredients are a staple of Italian cuisine and you will find a large difference in available food choices within the country depending on the time of year you visit it.
Ingredients for Fresh Cream of Spring Pea Soup Recipe
4 1/2 Cups of Fresh Seasonal Green Peas
1 Crushed Garlic Clove
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3/4 Cup of Finely Chopped Celery
1 1/2 Cups of Chopped Leek Greens
1 Teaspoon of Minced Fresh Thyme
1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
4 1/2 Cups of Chicken Stock Mixed With Water (2 1/4 Cup of Each)
3 Tablespoons of Chopped Italian Parsley
1/8 Teaspoon of Ascorbic Acid Powder
Sea Salt for Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper for Taste
Preparation for Fresh Cream of Spring Pea Soup Recipe
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat setting. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Next, sauté the celery and leek greens. Stir all of these ingredients frequently while cooking them for 8-10 minutes. Be sure not to let the ingredients brown or otherwise color.
2. Pour the chicken stock into the pan. Bring it to a simmer.
3. Add the heavy cream to the pan and bring it to a simmer. Next, add in the green peas. Stir the ingredients together until a consistent simmer is achieved. Allow the peas to cook for 8-10 minutes or until they're soft and tender.
4. Add the thyme and parsley to the pan. Allow these ingredients to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat. Add portions of the soup mixture to a blender. Puree the soup with the ascorbic acid powder until it is even and consistent. Add in more chicken stock if you need to thin the soup consistency.
6. Pour the soup into a large bowl and then chill the bowl in an ice bath until it is cool. Serve the soup and enjoy.
Wine Pairing: Vermentino